Posted: Mar 28 2013
by: Jill Johnson

Recent Posts

DIY Cashmere Travel Blanket

***

If you know me, you know there are a lot of things in life that make me happy :)  Two of them, of course, are traveling and cashmere. It's no surprise that a cashmere travel blanket is like heaven to me ... and I mean heaven in a totally practical and achievable way without having to die to get there.

Bringing my own blanket everywhere I go is a non-negotiable travel essential.  Cashmere is the perfect fiber and weight for a multitude of destinations.  It's a "security blanket" to fend off pervy eyeballs when I'm sleeping on the plane, and doubles as a wrap I can throw around my shoulders for a cool morning beach walk or evening bonfire. And then there are those times when your travels take you to less accommodating accommodations (hey, if you're adventurous, it happens) and nothing is more comforting than your personal blanket to snuggle up in without worrying about who and what slept there before you (a big fat EW!).

Here's how I did it- You can make one too!!!

• Collect a bunch of cashmere. A lot of people are spring-cleaning out their closets. Perfect timing.
  • Hand wash them all. If you want a denser cashmere blanket, you can wash them in hot water and shrink them first, but I personally like them to be lighter weight, especially this time of year.
  • Cut them into squares or rectangles and overlock the edges.
  • Get creative and arrange the pieces (think "abstract"- it's easiest that way)
  • Sew them all together.
  • "Voila!" Now you have a fabulous cashmere throw that you will live in!! I promise. (Mine is on my lap as I write this).

For this one, I cut up my cashmere sweats (they had a huge hole so it was time to sacrifice them) and a bunch of men's sweaters I found at a second-hand store.

Arranging the pieces together.  I put them on the floor for this.

Here, I'm overlapping and sewing the edges together, being careful not to stretch the fabric too much.

Please let me know what you think by commenting below... As always, I LOVE your feedback! If you want to try this and need more instruction, drop me a line HERE and I'd be happy to help you.  Don't forget to sign-up for my email newsletter for more DYIs, email-only web specials and other fun stuff!

P.S.-

If you love cashmere as much as I do, check out my new cashmere mini skirts!!

Comments

• Would you believe I have three bins of cashmere and twelve bins of felted wool washed and ready to make blankets with. Going to try my collection of blue jeans in rag quilts first. I need to get my nerve up for the cashmere. First cashmere throw is mine then I will think about others….can’t wait. Loved your idea of the travel blanket…thanks for sharing….Janice

Posted by Janice Fusco on February 12, 2017
  • Hi,
    I was wondering how many sweaters you used on the purple, coral, ivory wrap. It is so pretty. I wonder what it would cost to buy them all second-hand?
    Thanks!!
    Jessica

Posted by Jbop on March 03, 2016
  • Hi Valerie and Mary- I’m so sorry for not getting back to you sooner.. I guess I have to check the notification settings.. oops.. anyway I just measured the finished blanket I made with the grey/black/camel.. it’s about 6′×5′.. or 72″×60″. It’s pretty thin, so although that’s a little bit bigger than the average throw (which is about 50×60?) I use it pretty much every day and it seems to be the perfect size… not cumbersome at all (easy to throw on as a big wrap for my small frame) and lengthy enough for my bf .. he’s 6’2" and loves to use it while watching movies. Hope this helps.. if you have any other Q’s, you can email me at bunnyjackson@gmail.com. Thanks Ladies and Happy Holidays! p.s- I send the pink one to a friend so I didn’t get a chance to measure it.

Posted by Jill aka Bunny on December 03, 2013
  • My legs get so cold, even in a California winter. I searched for cashmere leggings recently and found a few by famous makers but the price shocked. $450 – $695. Have you had any thought or experience with making these from old sweaters?

Posted by Mary Gray K on November 23, 2013
  • I love the way you’ve draped this. Can you tell me the finished size of the grey mix ?

Thanks ?
    Val

Posted by Valerie on October 12, 2013
  • Simply love this! I feel pretty sure there is one in my future. What is the finished size of yours please? xo

Posted by Mary Gray K on May 28, 2013
  • Jill,

How do I share this blog with my mom and some of my girlfriends. A few of them aren’t on Facebook.

I think this is such a fabulous idea and want to share it with a few of my favorite people, but I’m uncertain as to how I can do that.

Thank you so much for the feedback and advice. I can’t wait to start this project and I think it would be fun to do so with some girlfriends as well.

It’s so funny because, as usual we are on the same page! I too, was thinking of using a bright and fun colored yarn with an overdone “zig-zagged” type of stitch!

So, if you could instruct me on how to share this to my FB page and also email it to my friends I would so greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for opening your endless vault of creativity and sharing it with all of us! Keep blogging you’re inspirational and forever fascinating. And I’m fairly certain I speak for many as I write this.

Lots of love to you my Bunny~
    Jenn

Posted by Jenn B on April 04, 2013
  • Jenn- Yes, this is a perfect use for your old cashmere that is out of style or has holes etc. You don’t really need a serger. I even think making a cashmere blanket would be charming sewn together by hand with embroidery floss or even chunky yarn in a bright contrasting color …I think it would have a cool, couture/hand-made appeal to it! For my own cashmere blanket, I even used some cashmere that had holes. You can cut around them or repair the holes and it’s fine for a blanket :) Good luck with the project and let me know how it turns out! xo

Posted by Jill on March 29, 2013
  • Jill, such an awesome idea! I have a ton of cashmere that I can’t wear for they’re holes here and there, but I can’t throw them away. Thanks for the info and inspiration! Do I need a serger for this?

Posted by Jenn B. on March 28, 2013
  • Cashmere blanket, yes please!!!!

Posted by Helen on March 28, 2013
  • Just “pinned” this. Love it, am definitely going to try it but somehow I doubt mine will be as wearable-)

Posted by Luann Caesar on March 28, 2013
  • Shana and Linda-
    Thanks for the comments!! and Linda- look for HUGE sweaters in the men’s department- the smaller ladies sweaters take way more… Good luck with it- you’ll LOVE having one!! It’s a perfect weekend project too :)
    xoxo
    Jill

Posted by Jill on March 28, 2013
  • Love love!
    Xoxo

Posted by Carla on March 28, 2013
  • Well, I have to say that when I first say this travel sweater, I just stared at it in envy because it was so beautiful and comfy looking. My first thought was, no one else would have this. This is a one-of-a-kind. Wow, Jill is talented!

Posted by Shana on March 28, 2013
  • This is such a cool idea and I just got a sewing machine last weekend off Craig’s list. Worth a trip to thrift store to find sweaters!!! Thanks Jill !

Posted by Linda Wilkey on March 28, 2013