DIY Cashmere Travel Blanket
If you know me, you know there are a lot of things in life that make me happy :) Two of them, of course, are traveling and cashmere. It's no surprise that a cashmere travel blanket is like heaven to me ... and I mean heaven in a totally practical and achievable way without having to die to get there.
Bringing my own blanket everywhere I go is a non-negotiable travel essential. Cashmere is the perfect fiber and weight for a multitude of destinations. It's a "security blanket" to fend off pervy eyeballs when I'm sleeping on the plane, and doubles as a wrap I can throw around my shoulders for a cool morning beach walk or evening bonfire. And then there are those times when your travels take you to less accommodating accommodations (hey, if you're adventurous, it happens) and nothing is more comforting than your personal blanket to snuggle up in without worrying about who and what slept there before you (a big fat EW!).
Here's how I did it- You can make one too!!!
- Collect a bunch of cashmere. A lot of people are spring-cleaning out their closets. Perfect timing.
- Hand wash them all. If you want a denser cashmere blanket, you can wash them in hot water and shrink them first, but I personally like them to be lighter weight, especially this time of year.
- Cut them into squares or rectangles and overlock the edges.
- Get creative and arrange the pieces (think "abstract"- it's easiest that way)
- Sew them all together.
- "Voila!" Now you have a fabulous cashmere throw that you will live in!! I promise. (Mine is on my lap as I write this).
For this one, I cut up my cashmere sweats (they had a huge hole so it was time to sacrifice them) and a bunch of men's sweaters I found at a second-hand store.
Arranging the pieces together. I put them on the floor for this.
Here, I'm overlapping and sewing the edges together, being careful not to stretch the fabric too much.
Please let me know what you think by commenting below... As always, I LOVE your feedback! If you want to try this and need more instruction, drop me a line HERE and I'd be happy to help you. Don't forget to sign-up for my email newsletter for more DYIs, email-only web specials and other fun stuff!
If you love cashmere as much as I do, check out my new cashmere mini skirts!!