Posted: Jan 25 2013
by: Jill Johnson

Recent Posts

Spaceships, Martinis and a Robot That Makes Mini Dresses

You know I have a BIG thing for little dresses... and the mod, glamourous styles of the 1960's.  It was an era of high-balls, hot-rods and space travel! Today, I was browsing through vintage photos from classic Sci-Fi flicks (and original Star Trek episodes) and I noticed an undeniable consistency... Gorgeous and sometimes strange women in micro-mini dresses. Apparently, in the 60's they were predicting a space-age future in which all the women are wearing very short dresses! Yay!!

Some guess that the trend most likely began with the film Forbidden Planet, 1956.

Anne Francis wears a series of "futuristic" dresses, and the best part (and I just love this) is that they were supposedly tailored by Robby the Robot.  (I think I need a dress-designing robot of my own to put to work.) I know that seeing how Robby drapes the fabric in the center photo is pretty convincing, but actually they were designed by Helen Rose. Rose decided that "with exercise, dieting, health and beauty consciousness, the human body, especially the female body was getting more and more beautiful". She settled for a very short, stylish dress that was to become the first (?) "mini-skirt".

But Marguerite Chapmen pre-dated the trend when she rocked this awesome, blue satin number in 1951 in Flight to Mars. What a babe!

Perhaps the most iconic of all sci-fi minis was designed by Bill Theiss for the original Star Trek series.

These women were luminous, powerful and totally sexy. They navigated spaceships, seduced astronauts, short-circuited robots and befriended the burliest inter-planetary creatures.  And they did it all in the shortest little dresses ever. They chose their courses, weapons and hemlines with space-age accuracy and undeniable femininity.

Cheers to the Atomic Era.... Spaceships, Martinis and Mini Dresses... I love it! What's your favorite dress style? Favorite fashion moments on film?? Do you wish you could star in a sci-fi movie? Please leave a comment below (scroll to the bottom of the comments to see the form) and and I hope you sign up for my mailing list!!

-Jill

Comments

• Love those cute little mini dress save many a B movie shame more women don’t wear them. But then I wonder what kind of science fiction would have the males in mini dress while the women looked at their silky smooth legs.
    Posted by Robert S Moulds on July 13, 2014
  • NASA spends zillions on searching for water in space. You on the other hand have figured out how to hydrate an outer limit fashion awareness. Hopefully, one day they will get the Hubble telescope to focus on Bunny Jackson creations, because not only are they universally inspired but are OUT OF THIS WORLD.
    Great blogging Jill, and much success on your colorful ENTERPRISE.

Posted by BW on March 16, 2013
  • LOVE THE WEBSITE, LOVE THE BLOG, LOVE YOUR CLOTHING. LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU. !!:) xoxo

Posted by Jayne on March 15, 2013
  • I’d like to place my Halloween costume order now please.. 1 Capt. Kirk outfit and 5-6 Bunny Jackson models
    dressed in… well, Bunny Jackson of course!

Posted by Davy J on March 15, 2013
  • Bunny you’re so funny!! I love this coverage of space age minis! I’m thinking I need a futuristic number soon!

Posted by Regan on March 15, 2013
  • Thanks Mom!!! I love you! You are simply fabulous too. I guess the fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree.. lucky me!
    xoxo
    Jill (aka Bunny Jackson)

Posted by Jill on March 15, 2013
  • Isn’t my BunnyJackson simply fabulous? Love Mom

Posted by Gloria Johnson on March 15, 2013
  • Oh my gosh I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!! Your writing style is so much fun and full of personality and is easy to read. Super informational without being boring. And I never knew that about the mini dress. Damn those girls are smokin!!! Let’s see…my favorite dress is definitely a mini. I happen to like my legs, and I have hips and a short torso, so anything that shows off my assets and lengthens me, I’m a fan of. LOVE THIS BLOG!!! Keep writing.

XOXO
    Miss Wildheart (herself)

Posted by Sally on March 15, 2013
  • Jesus Bunny…. I didnt know you could write brilliant blogs too. You are such a multi talented Icon of the design world. Good job on the site and running the world of Fashion and Of course STYLE in the near future!!!!

WALLACE

Posted by wallace on March 15, 2013

WALLACE

Posted by wallace on March 15, 2013
  • Women’s fashion in Sci-Fi was a major break thru for us. It showed women as empowered, and strong, yet seductive, feminine and vulnerable. It was mind boggling for men to comprehend. What was so distracting about these Sci-Fi was not the absurd concept or bad lighting-but how uncomfortable or aroused you felt by the display. Introduc the “Mini-Dress”. The “mini” dresses that have continued to haunt the minds of many women and men for years. When I think of this Era of Sci-Fi Fab fashion, I think of Jane Fonda in “Barbarella”. I am still affected by the famous photograph of Jane in her “Animalist” textured Mini skin Dress. I still secretly long to be that woman, bearing strength, yet paralyzing you with my beauty and seductive ways….For this Era, this was a bold and direct statement, saying……Times have changed. I am smart, I am Beautiful, and I will dominate you. History began to unfold with the power of a pair of sexy legs, and a Brain to match that, thus giving women the power of equality. That power coming from intimidating looks in a Mini Dress. Good job ladies…You set the standards high, and I intend to meet them. Thank you Bunny Jackson!!

Posted by Erin McKeown on March 14, 2013